Monthly Archives: June 2019

You are browsing the site archives by month.

Seymour offers the international style

ADVERTISING FEATURE
Nanjing Night Net

A GREATER CHOICE: Seymour College senior students Laura Purvis of Farrell Flat and Millie Hooper of Myrtle Bank enjoy learning at the school.

​Seymour College has a long history of high achievement in girls’ education in South Australia.

Now, in less than two years, Seymour has been authorised to offer a new choice for students commencing in 2017: the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP).

Seymour will continue to offer both the SACE and the IBDP, giving students more options and opportunities depending on their learning preferences.

“While the IBDP represents an exciting new dimension in our curriculum offerings at Seymour, we remain strongly committed to the SACE and recognise that it continues to be an excellent and highly suitable learning pathway for many of our senior students,” said Seymour College principal, Melissa Powell.

This advertising feature is sponsored by the following education providers. Click on the links to learn more:

Prince Alfred CollegeSacred Heart CollegeSeymour CollegeSaint Peter’s CollegetafeSAUniversity of South AustraliaWestminster SchoolWalford Anglican School for Girls“Our extensive and flexible curriculum enables girls to follow their ambition and select subjects that they are not only passionate about, but provide the best platform for their chosen future.”

The IBDP gives students a greater breadth of subjects to choose from.

It fosters in students a love of lifelong learning, enabling them to develop as problem solvers, deep thinkers and inquirers.

These qualities are in keeping with Seymour’s traditions as well as being traits required by universities and employers in the 21st century.Seymour has also been working passionately to introduce the IB Primary Years Programme (PYP) for its younger students from Foundation to Year 5.

The aim is to be fully authorised by the end of 2017.

Related stories:

Take a chance to join us at PrincesProviding access to more selectionOffering students more opportunitiesBright idea for future jobsWalford girls take off to Space CamptafeSA’s pathway to professional successAiming high at WestminsterThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Is $50 million the Australian Open’s next magic number for 2017?

Number crunching: Prizemoney at the 2017 Australian Open is set to increase and ticket presales for the tournament are “on par” with last year, when a record crowd of 720,363 attended over the fortnight. Photo: Teagan Glenane Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley wants to lead the way in prizemoney offered to players. Photo: Eddie Jim
Nanjing Night Net

Winners are grinners at the Australian Open as 2016 runner-up Serena Williams shares a moment with winner Angelique Kerber. Photo: Scott Barbour

Australian Open prizemoney is pushing towards the $50 million barrier, with another substantial increase imminent and only the finer details of the record sum’s distribution still being negotiated by Tennis Australia and player governing bodies the ATP and the WTA.

Unlike the stand-off between the AFL and its players’ association over the terms of the parties’ new collective bargaining agreement, the tennis grand slams and their star attractions have had less difficulty coming to satisfactory terms in recent years.

The threat of strike action in 2012 paved the way for a series of significant prize pool increases at the four majors, starting at Melbourne Park, and this is expected to be another. Tournament director Craig Tiley confirmed that the push to better compensate the more lowly-ranked players in relative terms was also likely to continue at the January 16-29 event.

“We’ve been working with both the WTA and the ATP on the distribution, and once that’s finalised in the next week or so we’ll be able to announce [the prizemoney details],” said Tiley of a process that has again been left as late as possible in order to accommodate currency fluctuations. “You can expect an increase; to what extent we’ll be able to tell you then.”

Tiley reiterated the Open’s commitment to what he called “leading the way” in prizemoney agenda-setting. In 2012, for example, first-round losers in the main draw received $20,000, and the singles champion $2.3 million. This year, participation guaranteed at least $38,500, while the title winner’s purse had risen by almost 48 per cent to $3.4 million.

“We’ve been always the first to respond on player compensation and I personally, as well as our team, believe that paying the players well is really important not only for the event’s future, but also for the sport, and generally it’s lagged behind in the players ranked between 100 and 200,” Tiley said.

“We’ve stepped up by offering more prizemoney in … the qualifying, and the first few rounds. So that’s generally the direction we’ve gone as an event and we’ll continue to go [that way] because we believe there needs to be a larger group of players professionally that make more money.”

In 2013, the year after the possibility of industrial action was flagged, total Australian Open prizemoney soared by 15 per cent to $30 million, and the past three tournaments have been worth $33 million, $40 million and $44 million, respectively. This season, the US Open was again the most lucrative major, with total prizemoney of $62.5 million ($US46.3 million) on current exchange rates, ahead of Wimbledon $55.41 million and the French Open $48.6 million.

Tiley said ticket presales were “on par” with last year, when a record crowd of 720,363 attended over the fortnight. The long-range weather forecast is also encouraging, with less drizzle than in 2016, the majority of tournament days expecting maximum temperatures of 21-25 degrees, only three to four days in the 30s and perhaps one in the high 30s. A new spectator entry point is also now on the city side of the venue, via the Tanderrum Bridge.

As for dual Paralympics tennis gold medallist Dylan Alcott’s joke that he would have Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray moved to court six while he played on Rod Laver Arena, Tiley said: “How great was it Dylan Alcott winning the Newcombe Medal? The first wheelchair athlete to win it across all athletes and the speech he gave on Monday night was very emotional and was brilliant. Right now anything Dylan Alcott wants he pretty much can get.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Netflix downloads: everything you need to know

Netflix announced today that subscribers will be able to download select movies and TV shows for offline playback. The feature had been requested by users for a long time, and it’s reportedly been in the works since June. Now, anyone with a Netflix subscription can download movies and TV shows to watch when they’re not connected to the internet.
Nanjing Night Net

In the past, the predominant belief was that Netflix offline viewing would be targeted at countries without reliable internet access. However, since that’s not the case any more, the announcement is already being championed by binge-watchers and frequent travellers. It’s also raised some questions among the tech community. With that in mind, here is everything you need to know about downloading videos from Netflix, and how you can plan to take advantage of this sweet new feature. How to start downloading movies

You can only download Netflix videos using the iOS or Android app. Netflix requires users to have at least iOS 8.0 or Android 4.4.2, in addition to having the latest version of the app. Downloading videos will consume about as much data as streaming, so if you plan on saving a bunch of videos, we’d recommend connecting to a reliable Wi-Fi connection to prevent any unexpected mobile data charges. How much storage space you’ll need

The size of downloadable Netflix files depends on how long the video is. For example, one episode of Black Mirror with a running time of one hour and three minutes is about 280 megabytes in standard definition. The high-definition version of the same episode clocks in at 440 megabytes (about twice the size). How much storage space you’ll need to binge

Let’s be honest: This new offline viewing feature is cool because it allows you to load up a bunch of content for long trips. Say you’re taking a six-hour flight and want to watch downloaded Netflix videos the whole time. You’ll need six Black Mirror episodes which would require 1.68 gigabytes of free space for SD and 2.64 gigabytes for HD. So unless you’re flying further than Southeast Asia you probably won’t need much more than that. How to get the best quality video

You can choose whether you want standard-definition video — which is faster to download and takes up less space — or high-definition video. In order to keep downloads quick, Netflix sets downloads to standard video (720×480) by default. According to a Netflix spokesperson, HD support will vary by device. You can find the option to change in the app’s settings. For most users, standard definition will be good enough, especially if you’re watching on a small screen like a phone or tablet. How to manage the files

Netflix declined to comment on the file type that is saved, and you can’t view it in a file manager app, either. It works similarly to other subscription apps like Spotify. According to a Netflix spokesperson, “The downloads can only be viewed within the Netflix mobile app; they aren’t like videos you download from the internet and store to your device.” It’s safe to say this is a digital rights management (DRM) scheme to protect the copyrights of videos being offered. How to move files to a desktop or laptop (Spoiler: You can’t)

You must use the Netflix app to download and view saved videos. How to keep downloads from expiring

Each Netflix download has a different expiration time. Movies and TV shows that expire from your device in less than seven days will display how much time is left in the “My Downloads” section of the Netflix app. For some movies and shows, offline viewing must be completed within 48 hours of the moment you press play. When you start playing one of these titles, you’ll see how many hours you have left in the “My Downloads” section of the Netflix app. Explore the smart design, breakthrough science and awe-inspiring tech shaping your future at .This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Martin Shkreli responds after Sydney Grammar boys make Daraprim

The man who has been called the “poster boy for greedy drug company executives” and “the most hated man in the world”, Martin Shkreli, has responded to reports that a group of Sydney schoolboys made a drug that his company charges at $US750 ($A1011) a tablet.
Nanjing Night Net

Soon after the Fairfax Media report broke, people on Twitter started peppering Mr Shkreli with questions about the story. @nedavanovac lol how is that showing anyone up? almost any drug can be made at small scale for a low price. glad it makes u feel good tho.— Martin Shkreli (@MartinShkreli) December 1, 2016

Mr Shkreli’s company gained the rights to Daraprim, an anti-parasitic medication listed by the World Health Organisation as essential, and soon after he raised the price from $US13.50 ($18) to $US750 a dose.

Mr Shkreli said the price rise was to extract money from insurance companies to fund research for better drugs. He says anybody in the US without insurance who needs the drug can get the drug for free.

Under the guidance of Dr Alice Williamson at the University of Sydney, some year 11 Sydney Grammar students made the drug for about $2 a dose.

In explaining his motivation during the Sydney Grammar school project, student James Wood said: “I don’t believe his justification for the price hike.” James, 17, said he thought this seemed “a bit wishy-washy”.

“He was clearly trying to justify something driven by the profit motive,” James said.

Other Twitter users suggested to Mr Shkreli the boys’ work had ‘destroyed’ him. @meatfreq destroyed?— Martin Shkreli (@MartinShkreli) November 30, 2016

He laughed off this tweet from Luke Gamon, an Australian post-doc studying in Copenhagen. @lgamon lol— Martin Shkreli (@MartinShkreli) November 30, 2016

Mr Shkreli said that making the drug is easy, or rather “ez”. @Scottyt2Hottie yea uh anyone can make any drug it is pretty ez— Martin Shkreli (@MartinShkreli) December 1, 2016

The founder of the Open Source Malaria Consortium at the University of Sydney, Associate Professor Matthew Todd, noticed one of Mr Shkreli’s tweets said “learning synthesis isn’t innovation”.

Associate Professor Todd said: “On one hand you have Mr Shkreli who bought a known thing and raised the price.

“On the other you have school kids who have made this thing in their spare time with their teacher. They had to develop stuff and really work on it.

“You tell me which of those is innovative.”

He congratulated the students. “It’s very impressive work,” he said.

In response to Mr Shkreli’s tweet that “anyone can make any drug it is pretty ez”, Dr Williamson said: “Not just anyone can make this drug. You need training and facilities and equipment.

She then made the point: “If anyone can do it and it’s so cheap, it highlights why it shouldn’t be $US750 a dose.”

Mr Shkreli did not respond to an invitation to respond to Fairfax Media.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Backpacker tax: Malcolm Turnbull attacks Bill Shorten for favouring ‘rich white kids’ from Europe

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has attacked Labor for sticking by its demand for a 10.5 per cent backpacker tax. Photo: Andrew Meares Backpackers Rebecca Marsh, Amy Smyth and Rosie Togneri from Northern Ireland. Photo: Peter Rae
Nanjing Night Net

With time running out to find a solution to the backpacker tax impasse, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has ramped up his rhetoric on the issue by accusing Opposition Leader Bill Shorten of favouring “rich white kids from Europe” over poor Pacific Islanders and young Australians.

The backpacker tax issue will dominate Parliament on Thursday, the final sitting day of the year, as the government scrambles to strike a deal with the crossbench to stop the rate on overseas workers soaring to 32.5 per cent in January.

The government thought it had sealed a deal with senators for a 15 per cent tax rate but this was undone on Wednesday when crossbenchers Derryn Hinch and Rod Culleton surprisingly sided with Labor to back a 10.5 per cent rate. A 13 per cent rate is now being discussed.

“Bill Shorten thinks rich kids from Europe should pay less tax than Pacific Islanders working here to send money back to their villages,” Mr Turnbull told ABC radio on Thursday.

“They say a backpacker from Europe, a rich kid on holidays here from Germany or Norway, backpacking around, he or she should pay less tax and that Pacific Islander who comes here to pick fruit during the season and is sending that money back to his village – some of the poorest countries in the world.”

Mr Turnbull said it would be unfair for workers from the Pacific Islands, who come to Australia under the Seasonal Worker Program, to pay a flat tax rate of 15 per cent while European backpackers are only charged 10.5 per cent.

“The Labor Party, for nothing other than political cynicism, wants these white kids – rich white kids from Europe – who come here on their holidays to pay less tax than some of the Pacific Islanders from some of the poorest countries in the world.

“Where is the equity in that?

“And [Mr Shorten] wants these kids, from Europe, to pay less tax than Australians working alongside them. I mean, seriously!

“What’s the principle there?”

Labor has attacked Mr Turnbull for claiming Australians would pay more tax than backpackers because locals can access the tax free threshold for the first $18,200 of their yearly income.

Shadow treasurer Chris Bowen said Mr Turnbull’s comments on foreign workers were “unhinged” and inaccurate.

“The combination of super tax and the tax rate means the effective tax rate for backpackers under Labor’s compromise of 10.5 per cent is higher than for the Seasonal Worker Program, as these workers are not subject to the same superannuation clawback arrangements,” he said.

Mr Turnbull repeated the line about “rich kids” from Europe in several interviews on Thursday morning.

On Sydney radio 2GB he again contrasted European backpackers with Australia’s aid program for Islanders.

“Bill Shorten wants rich white kids from Germany and Norway and Sweden coming out here, having a holiday. He wants them to pay less tax than a Pacific Islander, then someone from Tonga who is sending the money back to his village,” he said.

He told Channel Seven’s Sunrise that Labor’s position was “sinister” and driven by “sheer bloody mindedness”.

“Labor wants a rich kid from Germany, from Norway, from Sweden to be paying less tax than someone from one of the poorest countries in the world who are sending their money back to their village,” he said.

Peak lobby group the National Farmers Federation said it would be a disaster for fruit growers if the 32.5 per cent tax rate kicked in from January.

Follow us on Twitter

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.